Tabula Rasa (Everything in it's Right Place)

Here's my problem: I do have too many accounts in too many social networks. Facebook, Gtalk, Buzz, MySpace, Yahoo, Twitter, etcetera, ad nauseaum. I also had a blog in which of course I can write longer rants for all of you to read and laugh at. Well, maybe I don't want to spend all day writing basically the same thing to all of them and I don't want to trim the number of networks because there are different people that I reach through each one of them. Odd, but true. Some of you don't like one and in the other and all that.

Well, along came apps like ping.fm, hootsuite, tweetdeck and the like that allow me to more or less centralize the whole deal. What some media types would call create synergy, what military types would call reach total spectrum dominance. Well, some of you who happen to be able to reach me through more than one of those channels find it annoying. I could say I feel your pain but I don't want to lie. As adults you can block me out one or more channels, and that's fine. Your loss really. Haven't lost any sleep because of it.

But something made me change my outlook, partly motivated by a very polite request from someone known all around me to be one of the meanest, rudest cunts on and off-line. It's ok. He would take it as a compliment and I mean it as a term of endearment as well. Also, he happens to be one quite a killer web designer/graphic artist and is one of those people who I actually look forward to have an argument when the situation calls for it. Partly because of him, but mainly because another reason. Bear with me, there is a point to all of this.

Somehow in my quest for synergy or redundancy, depends on how you look at it, I let this blog go. Granted, I've been blogging unofficially since 1998 and on this platform since 2001 and it's home not only to a handy dandy collection of links of articles that hold my interest, but also of my very own lengthy rants about whatever my sick little brain might come up at any given time. Not that they were or are particularly entertaining nor enlightening, but at least for me they are a necessary cathartic exercise for my neurons, my writing skills and whatever passes for my soul these days.

I could blame all of it on blog fatigue and/or good old lazy-itis, but yeah, the blog was becoming sad just being a collection of tweets and links from said tweets. I came to that realization early this morning. So, I woke up unusually early today to try to change the looks and test-drive the draft feature in blogger, which is quite nifty and gives blogger's default template a much needed face-lift. Of course, there are alternatives to change them, one of which I'm using right now, but people are generally lazy and couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, after playing with several layouts, I was about to get the day's brunch when his polite request came. Thought about it and said "why not?" and got into it. So, in the kind words of Bill Maher, I say "new rule": short, sharp, succinct observations and/or conversations to twitter, facebook, etcetera and lengthier rants of whatever my mind would find interesting at the blog. Mind you, I'll still post linkage here, but with the handy BlogThis! tool, I can add some color commentary to it, whenever possible. So Say We All!

Of course, I reserve every right to change my mind about everything in any given moment, but let's see what happens now.

To Alf: I hope you're happy, you fucking content nazi. All my love always.
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

2 observations:

Unknown dijo...

Thanks a lot, you old fart.

Anónimo dijo...

You're quite welcome.